Aim: How do we use a compass and straightedge for geometric constructions?
Project: Students create handmade geometric pattern art using a compass and straightedge. Student work must do the following:
- Fill up one side of an 8.5″ x 11″ piece of paper (any color)
- Consist only of geometric constructions made by hand with a compass and straightedge
- Name the constructions used and the order in which they were done
Here are some ways to get ideas:
- Base your work on an existing piece of art or create your own.
- Look up images online using phrases like “pattern art” or “tessellations” (a tessellation is a repeated geometric pattern that can completely cover a flat surface with no gaps).
- Research art from your own culture to find inspiration!
Task Rating (see the equity task rubric for details):
- Rigor: 2
- Diversity: 2
- Identity: 2
- Justice: 0